Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Detected problems in vision of a child. What does these eye reports mean. Can it be cured without wearing glasses?

yesterday an eye specialist identified some problems on the right and left eyes of my 7 year old son.she said he has to wear glass here after.for right eye she wrote SPH +/- CYL -2.00 AXIS 150.7degree ,for left eye SPH -2.50,CYL -2.75,Axis 160.07degree .what is the meaning of all these ?is this can be curable without wearing glass.the doctor said the left eye is lazy now.we are very much worrying about this pls help.
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  118
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
,   ,  
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hi Hema Santhosh,
He has a refractive error condition called Myopic astigmatism, in which the Light entering the eyes are focused in front of the Retina,due to Irregular curvature of the Cornea/ the lens. So the person affected has a blurred vision. This is one of the commonest causes of blurred vision especially in children and is treatable.
Since you haven't mentioned how much your son was able to read ( in the chart) with the glasses, I cannot comment on the lazy eye. Any eye which is not been used to see ,due to lack of light stimulus on the retina becomes a Lazy eye.
Usually refractive errors diagnosed under the age of 8 yrs, when prescribed the correct glasses and if the child wears constantly , then the lazy eye will improve as time goes by.
So don't worry and all you need to do is
-encourage your child to wear the glasses full time .
- get a corneal topography done to assess the shape of the cornea and to rule out any thinning of it.
- get him examined again after 4 mths duration with the same doctor so you can keep a track.
- once your child is in an age to handle Contact lens, try it.
- once the power gets stabilised( by around 18 yrs) then Laser procedures can be done( to be free of glasses) if his Cornea and retina are okay .

Hope this helps :).
Answered: Sun, 8 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
Your son is suffering from myopia and astigmatism. Using spectacles is the only way to take of the problem and to prevent further deterioration in the vision. Mild eye exercises might help in preventing the further deterioration.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
Answered: Sat, 7 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor