Details of Cirrhosis of liver

Hello doc, one of my brothers-in-law is down with cirrhosis of liver. What is it? What the causes? How to prevent it? How is the prognosis?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
's  Response
Cirrhosis is a condition that causes irreversible scarring of the liver. As scar tissue replaces normal tissue, blood flow through your liver is affected. This makes it increasingly difficult for your liver to carry out essential functions, such as detoxifying harmful substances, purifying your blood and manufacturing vital nutrients. Cirrhosis of the liver can result from many causes. Almost any chronic liver disease can lead to cirrhosis. This list gives some of the many causes are alcoholic liver disease, chronic viral hepatitis B, C and D, chronic autoimmune hepatitis, inherited metabolic diseases, chronic bile duct diseases, chronic congestive heart failure, parasitic infections, liver inflammation that can be caused by fatty liver or due to long term exposure to toxins or drugs . The most effective treatment is to stop alcohol consumption before cirrhosis develops. Alcoholic hepatitis may be treated with Corticosteroids to reduce inflammation, good nutrition and rest is also important. Avoidance of potentially liver toxic medications and chemicals is also important. The prognosis is hopeful for individuals with Alcoholic Hepatitis. Prevention of Alcoholic Cirrhosis is crucial to long term survival. Liver Transplantation may be necessary for progressive disease that leads to cirrhosis. The prognosis depends on factors such as the underlying cause, how early the condition is diagnosed, and how early treatment is given. Many people who have cirrhosis which is not too extensive live a normal life for many years. In some cases, the progression of the cirrhosis can be halted or slowed by treatment. The outlook is not so good if there is a lot of liver damage, especially if you have alcoholic cirrhosis and do not stop drinking. Cirrhosis can cause death by bleeding from varices or by going into a coma from liver failure. People with cirrhosis are also more at risk of developing serious infections.
Pragati Singh's  Response

My Husband is suffering from severe Alcoholic Cirrhosis and earlier had been detected from hepatitis. Allt he doc suggest him fatty diet. i find it really weird a patient given such fatty diet in case of Alcoholic Cirrhosis. He his also a diabetic.

Pragati Singh's  Response

My Husband is suffering from severe Alcoholic Cirrhosis and earlier had been detected for hepatitis. All the doc suggest him fatty diet. i find it really weird a patient given such fatty diet in case of Alcoholic Cirrhosis. He his also a diabetic.