Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online


I am 14 years old and I think I m depressed, when I look at myself I wonder why i even bother because life doesn t feel worth getting up in the morning for and I would rather be dead than carry on. I look at the future and instead of seeing a way out, I just see a load of closed doors. I can t handle my life anymore, the slightest thing makes me want to cry and never get up again, and I feel stressed all the time and speak to people in ways that normally I wouldn t. I kind of distance myself from people because I think they won t understand. I don t feel any motivation anymore to do anything constructive or worthwhile, because it all seems so pointless.
Asked On : Mon, 16 Apr 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  294
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi Joseph,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your question...

I can understand how difficult and distressing it must be to going through such feelings. From the picture you have given, I think you are definitely in the midst of a depression. Feeling low, lack of motivation, social withdrawal, negative thoughts, bleak views about the future, feeling worthless and that life is not worth living, etc. are all symptoms of depression. Often, when we are depressed, our thoughts and attitudes can get clouded due to the depression and we don't feel like even seeking help, as everything seems pointless and a mere waste.

It is a positive thing that you have a good insight about your feelings and are able to recognize that you may be going through depression. Now, it is very important to seek help for this, without hesitating or postponing.

I would suggest that you first talk to someone close to you... may be your parents or relatives ...and let them know what you are going through. You will also need professional help from a psychiatrist who would be able to assess you in detail and treat you appropriately. There are various options available - talking therapies, medication, etc. and you will be able to come out of this soon.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Mon, 28 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Thomas George Varghese's  Response
Dear Joseph

Welcome to Healthcare magic.

I understand what you are going through, its definitely a form of depression. Please do not lose hope you are approaching puberty now and at this age depression is fairly common.
Its physiological and you don't need to worry as things will improve gradually over the next few months.

I would like to suggest a few measures that can be of help to you
1. please do not distance yourself from others talk to people share your feelings eith someone you trust maybe a close friend or your parents.


3. Exercise, take regular walks.

4.Eat plenty of fruits and fibre rich foods.

5. Please visit these websites as well- herein)

Lastly do not feel alone we are with you.
Dr. Thomas
Answered: Mon, 28 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]

Related questions you may be interested in


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor