Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Depressed, having suicidal thoughts. Attempted suicide. How to stop these thoughts?

I ve been depressed since I was 13. Friday morning I attempted suicide; I overdosed at school, & was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. I feel worse, and I just want to try again & again until I do succeed. My brother makes everything worse by telling me that I m such a disgrace to this family, & he wishes I would ve died. & all my dad does is try to make me feel more guilty about it by telling me how much it was all going to cost; the hospital bill, the ambulance ride, & the 1st Responders trip.I don t know what to do. I don t know if I should go back to the hospital because the suicidal thoughts are still there, or what? Sorry if I m not really supposed to answer these kinds of questions, but I don t really have anywhere else to go.. Thank you for your time.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~ If you continue to have active suicidal thoughts, I recommend that you contact your local psychiatrist immediately. Also if you live in the states or Canada, you can reach out to 1-800-273-TALK or 1-800-273-8255 which is the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. I hope you do so as soon as you can to gather local resources. Take care.
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with the suicidal thought's and the lack of empathy you perceive on part of your family members. Active suicidal thoughts are a psychiatric emergency that needs to be dealt with on an emergency basis. I would suggest you undergo inpatient treatment in a psychiatric ward. I would advise you to undergo a thorough psychiatric evaluation for depression, personality disorders and evaluation of your coping skills to deal with adverse situations. Thereafter appropriate pharmacological/behavioural treatment can be initiated.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor