Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Dentures since years, pain on upper plate. Dentists indicate of improper bone structure. Help?

My mother has had dentures for about 11 years, she is 80 years old. She has always told me that they hurt. especially her upper plate. She has been to several dentists that have told her that her bone structure isn t great, and that is why it hurts, so she leaves them out all of the tim,. therefore she never goes out of the house. Please help!!!!
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and welcome ,
Since your mother is using the dentures from a long time almost 11 years now we can expect few changes in the bone structure so far. Regressive changes do take place in the jaw bones with growing age and if she is diabetic, bone degeneration is seen more.
Due to change in the dimensions of the jaw even the measurements of the denture changes,and such overextended dentures gives pain and discomfort on placing due to disharmony with the oral tissues.
I suggest you to visit a prosthodontist and check if the denture is overextended and replace it with a new one which will definitly comfort your mother. take care
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 2 users find this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepika Attresh's  Response
hello & welcome
if bone support is not enough than it will be difficult to retain denture.
if she is medically fit & you can afford than go for bone augmentation procedure so that bone height can be raised.
after that a new denture can be made,or implants can be placed if fixed treatment is required.
thanks & take care
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Bone resorption is a natural process in every individual , as you said your mother is wearing dentures since 11yrs which doesnot fit properly and hurt her always. Dentures are not preformed prosthesis they are made according to the size of the patients maxilla and mandibular process. Possible reason could be the supporting bone doesnot have much retention to hold the denture in place and the age is also a factor to it. If your mother is diabetic ,she is prone to faster boneloss soo the denture size keeps on changing in a year or two leading to ill fitting dentures.Discomfort especially in the palatal region may be because of the impingment on the non stress bearing areas. So see a prosthodontist for better treatment.
Hope this helps you. Take care.
Answered: Thu, 24 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

since your mom is using denture for the last 11 years,there is more chance of alveolar ridge resorption.

visit a prosthodontist .

get alveoloplasty done if necessary.

replace your dentures as per the measurement of new ridge.get the sharp borders corrected at the same time as it can cause denture hyperplasia.

Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor