Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Dengue fever, altered state of consciousness, talking oddly. Normal symptoms?

Hi Doctor, My father who is 65 was diagnosed with Dengue fever 2 weeks ago. He has been in a military hospital in for the last 2 weeks, but is now back home. He has an altered state of conciousness now and is behaving sparatically and saying and doing things that are odd. Are this a common after effect of Dengue Fever or is it more likely to be hospital based trauma?
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  64
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for your query.
Elderly patient may have electrolyte disturbance like decreased serum sodium (hyponatremia) which may cause altered conscious level. Moreover dengue hemorrhagic fever with extremely decreased platelet count may lead intracranial bleed. I think you must go for serum electrolytes, blood sugar and most importantly CT brain to rule out any intra-cranial lesion.

Best wishes
Answered: Fri, 29 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor