Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Dark brown marks on legs, faded marks. What can help?

Hi, I'm African descent and I have had dark brown marks on my legs from childhood all through my teens, and now I'm a young adult-Over the years some of the marks have faded, however most are still visible, now more than ever because years of wearing long clothing has made my leg area fairer.
I am dating and will love the freedom to wear a dress but I can't
Will I ever be able to wear a dress?
Can I dermatologist help clear my legs up permanently? How?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  26
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response

Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum

You have many post inflammatory and post trauma scars over your legs .
Now these are very old lesions as they are present since your childhood days
Topical medications can definitely be of help to you in reducing the pigmentation to some extent, although only after proper treatment, we can know the results

Since these are dark scars, i would advice that you should use a lightening agent like kojic acid and vitamin c combination over the scars,,this is a simple, harmless lightening agent which can be used for as long the blackish pigmentation is there..
Also ,try not to touch the area too much
Use proper sunscreen (spf>26) before going out in the sun so that the lesion doesn't darken any further
Take a diet rich in vitamin C and antioxidants like Citrus fruits and lots of salads
If after all the above measures, the scars tend to persist, then i would advise that you should see a dermatologist as there are various other measures for the treatment of pigmented scars like the use of chemical peels, dermabrasion etc which a dermatologist can decide according to the type of scars..

Hope it helps
Wishing you speedy recovery
Dr Geetika Paul
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor