Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Damaged lung, diagnosed with TB, no improvement after treatment. What should be done?

My mother-in-law left lung completely damaged ,i admitted one of the famous hosiptal in nov 2011,they confirmed it s a TB so based on that treatmeant is started that day onwards but till now the treat meant is going on but there is no difference x-ray for the last year and current year,could you please suggest me what can i do?
Asked On : Mon, 24 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
  User's Response
Hello Mr Chandra
If your mother in law is feeling better and does not have any symptoms and her sputum exam is negative for acid fast bacilli, then I think we're on the right track. We dont treat the Xray, we treat the patient and its unlikely that her lung which has been completely damaged is ever going to come back.
The treatment for her tuberculosis helps prevent further damage and prevents her from spreading the infection to others.
Don't worry about the Xray. Its your mother in law who should be fine.
Please make sure that she is receiving the correct treatment . A sputum microscopy and culture would be needed to aid treatment.
Please seek a second opinion. One year is quite a long time anyway
Answered: Mon, 24 Sep 2012
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Thanks for asking query here
your mother in law is suffering from Bilateral extensive Tuberculosis,as such also it's treatment is slow and takes long time but 10 months is long enough time to see improvement provided she has taken treatment regularly.Because once treatment is discontinued chances of TB becoming resistant to treatment are very high.
If there is no improvement in X ray there is possibility Multi drug Reistant type of disease, a Sputum culture and sensitivity may be asked to see the drugs she taking is working effectively. If resistance is there second line drugs may be used or added to the treatment.
You can see a Chest Physician /Pumonologist and explore if she needs a CT Scan Chest to rule out any rare possibilities?Any immunocompromised reson exist.
Another possibility she has fibrosis and very little kung tissue is there.
Give her good nutrition and take care of her .
Hope she recovers soon
Answered: Mon, 24 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor