Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Cylindrical eye sight. Prescribed life-long use of contact lenses. Cure through surgery possible?

Hi.. My son is 10 years old and he has cylindrical eye sight -18(R) -17(L). doctors suggested that he need to use contact lenses life long and there is no other treatment for it. Could you please suggest if the problem can be cured by any surgery or if he can use glasses. It is getting very tough for the kid to manage the lenses.
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  77
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response

Your child is probably suffering from high myopia in both eye which is a condition where in the patient is short-sighted and has a great difficulty in seeing distant objects. Also, this type of children are good at studies but they do not play with other children of their age because they are unable to see distant things clearly. You should get the fundus examination of the child done and if there are no changes in the fundus due to high myopia you should consult a refractive surgeon who may undertake a refractive surgery. In case there are changes in the fundus, you should carefully select the lifestyle and future career of the child keeping the visual status in mind.

Answered: Wed, 2 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor