Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Cutting myself, want to tell parents, scared of rehab. Will I have to go to rehab?

I am 13 years old and have been cutting my self for about a year. I got a someone to talk to becuase of suicide but i keep lying about cutting myself. i want to tell someone but im worried my parents will send me to a rehab . my friend only know because the have seen them on my wrists ankles and upper legs to hip. if i tell someone will i have to go to rehab?
Asked On : Tue, 25 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  17
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello there,
I am genuinely concerned about your disturbing behaviour. Firstly I need to know why exactly are you cutting your wrists on a regular basis ? Have you been hurt by someone ? Have you broken off with someone lately ? Are you addicted to some drug ? You need to be very honest here as only then a radical cure can be found. You need not necessarily go to a rehabilitation if you have a strong will power. Remember where there is a will there is a way. You have already told that you have confessed about your problem with your friend. You can ask your friend to help you address your problem and get rid of it. But if it is becoming increasingly worse, crippling your day to day activities and affecting both your physical and mental health, I suggest going to a rehab will help you considerably. Do remember that your parents will feel better if they are in a position to help you in your difficult times. Do give them a chance.
Take care.
All the best.
Answered: Thu, 27 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Shanthi.E's  Response

Thanks for posting your query. It seems like you are in trouble and I am worried for you as well. Please do not be scared or think that you would be forced to go to a Rehab. You just need to speak to someone now.

My suggestion for you would be to find someone whom you are comfortable with and share your thoughts, may be a counselor or even a child psychiatrist.

Self-harm suggests that there is an underlying psychological disorder in you. Refrain yourself from it.

Please do not wait longer, go ahead, consult a specialist, and please, at least attempt to tell your parents about it. I am sure they are the best people for you to rely on.

Hope this helps you. I would like to give you a more specific answer. You can ask me a query directly at this link.

Wish you good health.

Answered: Thu, 27 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor