Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Crumbled jaw tooth, swelling on gum line, pus pockets. No relief with novacaine. Treatment?

Hello, I have a crumbled jaw tooth and I have noticed it swelling recently @ the outer gum line. It has had a puss pocket that I have extabated excretions out of up to 3 times a day. My dentist will not touch me because my mouth will not deaden with novacaine. I have to have them pulled by an oral surgeon. But my medicare does not pay for the gen. Anthesia any more. Please help
Asked On : Fri, 14 Sep 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  133
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
  User's Response
your crumbled tooth seems to have draining Pus from the case history you have cited. broken down (Crumbled teeth), often leads to pulp exposure and subsequent pulpal and peri- apical inflammation (i.e., inflammation in the socket of the teeth around the tips/ apices of teeth). During such inflammation, Abscess formation takes place. AND IT IS THE FACT THAT LOCAL ANESTHETICS LIKE NOVOCAINE OR ANY OTHER DOESN't WORK SOMETIMES IN PUS LADEN AREA.

You haven't mentioned which teeth and in which jaws, as it is related to area/ techniuque of anesthetic injecton. if you don't wish for a General Anesthesia, you can try the following, for Local Anesthesia only to become effective

1) take antibiotics like AUGMENTIN 625 for two times a day for three days to ward off the infection, so tha LA can be effective
2) Ask for around two shots of Local anesthesia and wait for half an hour
3) ask the dentist to use other alternative techniques of anesthesia like, local infilteration/ pulpla and Periodontal blocks, Nerve Blocks etc
4) Lastly if nothing works out, see a second opinion from another dentist
Answered: Fri, 14 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sapna Purwaha's  Response
i would advice you to get a xray done ,may be that tooth
Could be saved by root canal treatment and then get a crown
over it.i would also advice you to take antibiotics
and analgesics with mouth rinse with warm saline water
twice daily for relief or you may even use betadiene
Dont panic just show your tooth to an endodontist
and get a xray done there are chances your tooth could
be saved.
Answered: Fri, 14 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm,
the problem is due to impacted wisdom tooth which has got infected due to food lodgement or any other source.
visit your dentist and get an x-ray of that area to rule out the problem.if there is space for proper eruption of the impacted tooth,then its better to save the tooth by removing the gingival flap over the tooth,which is called as operculectomy.
if the tooth cannot be saved due to malalignment or decay or periodontal infection,then its better to extract the tooth surgically.take the antibiotics and analgesics prescribed by your dentist completely.
please keep the area hygienically.
hope you get well soon.
Answered: Fri, 14 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor