Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Cracked tooth, roots wrapped around jaw. Medication for pain relief?

i am disabled and all i have is medicaid for insurance. none of the clinics are excepting new patients for about a month. i cant take ibprophen due to high blood pressure . is there any way you can prescribe anything for the several bad teeth i do plan on getting removed soon. i cant get into any dentists in my area to even get a prescription and i have one tooth with the roots wrapped around the jaw and cracked in half
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012
Answers:  5 Views:  54
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum,
i would like to inform you that, the roots which are now left out should be extracted first as they can be the reason for infection, also if all your teeth are periodontally compromised then its better to get them removed which should be followed by dentures, you have not mentioned your age or any other medical condition you are suffering from besides high blood pressure, i hope you are taking medication for that.
i would recommend a few measures which will be easy for you to follow;
1. use a mouthwash, if brushing teeth is not possible,
2. rinse your mouth with plain water after every meal,
3. massage your gums with a gum paint using for finger for a minute,
4. do visit your dentist at regular intervals.
i wish you good health,
take care.
Answered: Fri, 27 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome,
as your roots are cracked ,medication will be only a temporary relief.
for permanent cure,you must get all cracked roots extracted.
two weeks later,you can get removable partial dentures in their place.
i would suggest you to take-
tab.divon-100mg,twice daily for 2 days
tab.spamox-500mg,thrice daily for 3 days
tab.metrogyl-400mg,thrice daily for 3 days.
gum tone gel can be used to massage your gums.
use chlorhexidine mouthrinses to gargle.
Answered: Mon, 15 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello & welcome,

As you are disabled, you may opt to take a proper course of Antibiotics & Painkillers to reduce your discomfort unless you are able to visit any nearest dentist.

But these drugs should be taken only if prescribed by physician or dentist. So, see if your family members can ask any nearest physician for home visit so that he can temporarily gives you proper doses of Antibiotics & painkillers.

Yes, those root pieces now remaining must be extracted to avoid any further infection & then should be replaced with Denture or fixed prosthesis if possible.

Maintain your oral hygiene by proper use of tooth brush ( even root pieces can be cleaned with brush used carefully ).
You can use local anti-septic mouthwash to oral cavity clean.

Use liquified or soft but high protein containing diet.

Lastly, as you are suffering from high blood pressure, never ever forget to take the anti-hypertensive drugs prescribed to you by your physician.

Take care
Answered: Wed, 17 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
look as log as the cause i.e. the root is left the problem can only be subsided a little . so i suggest you get to a dentist anyhow.
however for temporary relief i prescribe you novaclox l.b. twice a day and enzoflam thrice a day for 3 days each.
use a hexidine mouthwash too
take care
Answered: Wed, 17 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I went through your history & would like to tell you that partially broken teeth is more prone for infection.If don't get it extracted then it may progress to periapical area & may cause abscess which will result in inflammation.
You also get your other teeth diagnosed if there is any problem. If you have generilized recession & mobility in all teeth then its better to get them all extracted but before that you need to get your blood pressure controlled.
Few drugs are contraindicated in hypertensive patients like aspirin, ibuprofen & acetaminophen.
You Can go for nimesulide & paracetamol combination.
Its better to go for extraction of the tooth to avoid further complication.
Few more points to be considered are:-
-brush your teeth very gently
-use gum tone gel for gum massage
-always rinse mouth after eating anything.
Consult your dentist for further treatment

Take Care

Answered: Mon, 15 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor