Could the mild, constant pain in thumb indicate arthritis or carpel tunnel syndrome?

I've had mild pain in my thumbs on both hands for a few years. I woke up on Friday with severe pain in my left thumb and am unable to grasp things like doing up the zipper on my boots. This morning I could bearly hold the brush to dry and style my hair. I go for monthly massage and my hands get some time too. I started massaging my thumb in the area of pain for about 30 minutes. it has helped a lot, but there is still a little pain. I am office manager and I use the computer keyboard for most of the day. Are these the symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome, arthritis or something else? I won't be able to see my doctor until next week. What should I be doing in the interim? Thank you. Lori
Wed, 4 Dec 2013