• question-icon

Could the blood in bowels be due to rectal cancer?

Back in July I had a few cases of rectal bleeding after a bowel movement. Two were days apart and the other occurred a couple of weeks after the first. I did not experience any pain or anything, just a toilet full of bright red blood with large clots that I only discovered after I started wiping. I have regular constipation so I assumed it was hemorrhoids or something. It was a lot of blood each time, enough to fill the toilet. I went to see a colorectal surgeon in August and she looked up inside but didn t find anything. It s been almost two months since my last experience, but today I discovered another toilet full of blood after an easy bowel movement. I wasn t constipated or anything and it came out relatively easy with not too much hard pushing, even though I hadn t had a bowel movement in a while. But there was still enough blood in the toilet that it colored the water red, and it was VERY brightly colored, almost pink, with clots. Afterward, now I am feeling some lower pain in my back. However, there was no pain when I passed the bloody stool. Again, there was a LOT of blood in the toilet. I am starting to really worry about rectal cancer. Can anyone tell me what it might be? I am going to call that surgeon again and schedule a colonoscopy, but in the meantime I am so worried that I feel like crying. What am I going to do if they can t get me in right away? I don t have colon cancer in my family, but I am still really really worried. Can anyone help?
Mon, 2 Nov 2015
Hematologist 's  Response
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
You have blood in stool. It is red or pink in color. So it suggest bleeding from lower gastrointestinal tract. You may have piles or fissure or you may have some mass in rectum or colon due to cancer or benign adenoma. You should go for colonoscopy and ultrasound abdomen as well as per rectal examination. This will give you exact diagnosis. Then you should take treatment accordingly.
Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.