Could tenderness in cuticle of toe nail be due to ingrown nail?

My cuticle on the side of my big toe (at the corner of the beginning of the nail bed) is very tender. I don t think you can have an ingrown toenail in that area, can you? It s been very tender for quite some time now, but recently even more so. There is no visual evidence of infection, except inflammation. I did use a cuticle clipper and got some dead skin (cuticle) from the area. what could be causing the tenderness? No pain except when I walk or wiggle my toe.
Tue, 7 Jul 2015
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Paronychia is the inflammation/infection of the cuticle.

This can be treated with : (1) clean the area with anti septic
(2)application of a topical antibacterial ointment
(3)If there is no resolution the you may need to treatment with antibiotics

I hope this helps