Could pain in knee be caused by strain of the vastus medialis or sprain of medial collateral ligament?

I have a history of trauma to the knee. A physician diagnosed me as having sprained my medial colateral ligament and a 1st degree medial meniscus tear. The physical therapist disagreed and said it was a only a strain of the vastus medialis. So i was treated for that. I was fine until returning to biking left my knee sore. Now I'm experiencing slight pain. My knee becomes extremely stiff after having a shower. What is going on?
Thu, 22 Jun 2017
Sports Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi. My opinion is that a vastus medialis strain would have healed with physical therapy, but a meniscal injury can cause persistent pain or discomfort. An MRI will give a definite diagnosis. Meniscal tears do not heal easily and you may need an arthroscopy to clean it. I advise a visit to an Orthopaedic surgeon. Hope this answers your question.