• question-icon

Could light headedness and shaking be due to Cefuroxime?

Hi! I was put on Cefuroxime, 500 mg, for a severe sinus infection (also have had influenza past week). Now I feel very light headed, a bit shaky and weird. Almost like I am on an antihistamine. I don t tolerated antihistamines at all, but have never had any reaction to an antibiotic, nor am I allergic. Do you think it s the meds making me feel this way?
Tue, 28 Apr 2015
Hello dear patient. Welcome to Hcm!

Yes it may be a side effect of Cefuroxime, it can cause headache, chills, general feeling of illness or discomfort etc, but severe side effects are very rare. The most probable is that antihistamin drugs to be responsable for these symptoms, since they may give reduction of conscience, tiredness, light head feeling, sleep etc. You should take the antihistamin after the dinner and before you go to sleep.
If the symptoms are very severe for you consider quitting the medication and talk to your treating doctor.

Best regards!
Dr Eriol.