Could frequent sneezing attacks cause vertigo with moving crystal?

My ENT Doctor feels I have benign positioal vertigo and that I probably have a crystal moving around. He is scheduling a test and procedure with goggles to look at my eyes. My question is: I have been having sneezing attacks for years and I sneeze very hard several times, could have this caused a crystal to break loose?
Fri, 2 Jul 2021

The diagnosis of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo is confirmed by the doctor, by observing the nystagmus (jerking of the person's eyes) that accompany the vertigo caused by changing the head position. This is done thru a test called Dix Hallpike Maneuvre. Of course, in many of the patients, the real cause of BPPV, cannot be found, particularly in older people. However, any violent trauma of head or jerking of head can cause the symptoms of BPPV.

When tiny crystals due to some trauma on head of calcium carbonate in one part of the inner ear become dislodged and float into another part of inner ear. Even small movements of head can cause the crystals to move, triggering your inner ear sensors to send the mixed / changed message to the brain, which results into misunderstanding the position of head by the brain, resulting in positional vertigo. Definitely, some times, even minor trauma or a jerk, like a sneezing may cause the dislodging of crystal/s, resulting in BPVV.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician