Could contraceptive pills cause swelling and bruising in legs?

I am 30 years old and on the pill. I am a good weight and generally healthy. the other day I felt an itch in my leg and then it swelled and a huge black bruise appeared it is starting to go away now but I am worried because of the risk of bllod clots being on the pill should I stop taking it?
Tue, 27 Jul 2021

The blood clots we worry about are in the deep, large veins that you cannot see. I don't believe that's what has happened here and I wouldn't worry. The amount of risk of blood clots goes up with a little bit with age (over age 35), but this is made MUCH worse by smoking. So much so that if one of my patients won't quit smoking, I won't prescribe over age 35 because of the danger of blood clots and death.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Gerald Lee, Internal Medicine Specialist