Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Could a foul smelling urine be the result of an enlarged prostrate or fatty filtration in liver ?

Dear Doctor , My dad is 60 yrs old.. he complained about urine smelling and so we consulted our doctor ... he suggested for sonography of abdomen .. the results which are written in bold are discussed below: 1. Liver : Reveals mild fatty infiltration in both lobes. 2.Prostrate gland is mildly enlarged. no mass or collection demonstrated in iliac fossae. no free fluid is seen in abdomen. There are no peri aortic lymphadenopathy . Impression :1. Early fatty changes in liver 2. Prostatomegaly (grade 1) 3. small residual urine. Kindly suggest.. is there anything very severe that my dad is suffering..Kindly help me doctor !!
Asked On : Fri, 24 Jun 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  312
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Please do not worry presently your dad is not having anything serious.He has fatty liver and enlarged prostate which happen with the age.The prostate of almost 80% males will be mildly enlarged by age of 60yrs and even the fatty liver changes are early so no reason to worry.The smell in the urine may be due to less water intake and retained urine which will go away.
Answered: Fri, 24 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic

Good Day
Nothing severe, don't worry. Your father has fatty liver indicating damage to the liver which can be reversible if he alters his habits. He needs to stop drinking alcohol and eating fatty food. Regarding the prostratomegaly it means that there are early stages of Benign Prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The bad smell in the urine is probably due to urinary tract infection because the residual urine remains in the bladder allowing infection to occur. If your father is having difficult in urinating like decreased urine flow, flow of urine in drops, incomplete feeling of voiding and more than 4 times passing urine at night he may need medical treatment by drugs to help him get relief. He needs to drink enough water as well. You can discuss this with a Urologist.
Answered: Fri, 24 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor