Could I get cholesterol in young age ?

Hi, guy do u think in age 25- 30 could get cholesterol ?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
Every one has cholesterol,there is no age factor.

I m 22 and my cholesterol level is 242. Any other young people out there with the same problem? I got a call today from my doctor about my lab results. It seems that I have high cholesterol levels. I m only 22 and I was curious if anyone else was diagnosed at a young age and/or what I can do about it. I know lifestyle changes are in order, but I d like to know if anyone has specifics that worked well for them.

female,aged 30, very high cholesterol level 11,5, inherited from father who died at age 45 of heart disease. Various medication for last 8 years, currently using Simvastatin 40mg for last 2 months but gaining weight, experiencing excessive hot flashes and muscle and joint pains. I have also suffered from migraines since my teenage years. My daughter aged 13 has the same hereditory cholesterol and last blood test results showed her levels to be 9,6. Could you possibly recommend a different cure for both me and my daughter.

I am 23 years old male. 4 months back i got tested for cholesterol and my levels were: TGL: 210, LDL: 82 and HDL: 47, during that time i was having a poor lifestyle. My weight was 82Kgs (height 174 cm) with no exercise and poor diet with lots of junk and occasional chicken intake (about once in 10days). Although we have a tendency of borderline cholesterol in our family, it only occurs after the age of 60. Now 4 months later, my levels are TGL: 106, LDL: 89 and HDL: 49 with my weight: 69Kgs. I have not made any drastic changes in my lifestyle or food, just added 40mins exercise (running/jogging). I have not tried any weight loss programs, just substituted 1 meal each day by salads and giving up non-veg food completely. Now I am concerned if this could just be a temporary thing or is it now so that i have a tendency and my levels can shoot up anytime? Is this anything to do with the family tendency, or can this be explained by lifestyle issues? Can this happen without a family tendency as well? I am worried because my insurance company and doctor got me alarmed.

Recent questions on  Hypercholesterolemia

I have had cold hands all my life, and in general have been always on the cold side. I have had had back and sciatic related leg/foot pain issues for the last four years involving L4 region. I have been diagnosed with epilepsy 12 plus years ago - coinciding, time wise, with a stressful marital divorce. I question stress and or sleep apnea as a trigger, since the University of Cincinnati is studying a possible link to the apnea and epilepsy. I have been totally controlled for over 10 years with dilantin and Keppra (generic) and would love to get off medication, if not needed. Recently, I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and wear an oral appliance which is working very well. Now recently, I am experiencing an increase in numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. Also, about six/seven years ago, I started having a series of skin eruptions - small, itchy, and crusty - occurring anywhere on my body, mostly on my trunk. They are more intense initially then subside yet leaving a small, permanent and crusty eruption which may flare up on occasions. A dermatologist diagnosed this as Grover s disease. My last blood tests were mostly normal except for a high good cholesterol reading, which my M.D. stated out weighed the overall high cholesterol reading. First, what is your opinion on the skin eruptions, and secondly, how might my other issues be perceived. My blood sugar levels have been fine over the years, yet I do wonder about type two diabetes particularly with the tingling extremities. I also wonder about a possible thyroid involvement, since the blood tests have revealed a borderline reading. No history in the family of either issue. My back issue has improved recently - curiously, as the tingling became more apparent. Connection? With the present state of hurry-up office visits, my questions are superfluously addressed. - frustration. Thank you for your opinion!

I am a 47 year old diabetic lady, who had a Gastric Band fitted three years ago, and lost 6 stones. Before having this procedure, I had slightly raised cholesterol, but not high enough for medication. Over the last three years my Total Cholesterol level has gradually increased from 5.4 to now 7.1 My Bad cholestrol is very high, but my good cholesterol is VERY good, I don t have the exact figures. My Dr put me on Simvastatin approx three years ago. I took them willingly, and carried on my life as best I could, not realising how tiered and exhausted they made me feel with lots of aches and pains, I thought my problems where early menopause. Anyway last year after much research on the internet, I discovered that statins could give bad side affect in concentration and tiredness and muscle weakness, so I decided to address this with my Dr. Who instead of listening, gave me another tablet to take on top of the statins, because my cholesterol had started to rise again. (Sorry don t have the name of this one) I took these for a month, and they made me almost incapable of getting out of bed, the tiredness was so debilitating. I decided to stop taking them, and the Simvastatins. So I gradually weaned myself off of the drugs. I had decided not to tell the Dr, so I did it on my own. Anyway, when I went back to the Dr about something else a few months later, I told them what I had done, they strongly advised me to take another type of Statin. This time Atrovastatin 10mg was to be taken. I said I would but if they made me feel bad, I would stop them straight away. I took them for 10 days and started to get all the same side effects so just stopped, and the Dr could not persuade me to re take them. Then this year I have had a cholesterol test, and I am now showing a total of 7.1 When they told me how high it was, I said I didn’t care, because Id rather die tomorrow, than spend any more time taking these drugs. Anyhow they persuaded me to have one more try, and have given me Fluvastatin 20mg. That was nearly a month ago, and I haven’t talked myself into starting to take them yet, but would just like some general advice about High Cholesterol. Does high cholesterol mean that I’m going to have a heart attack or does it just mean I might? I do have heart problems in my family, my mother died at 48 of a massive stroke, but she was very over weight, and my father has just been prescribed Simvastins, for his high cholesterol, and he like me now, is a very slight man, he is 74 years old, and has developed Altzimers. He has also started to complain about tiredness and weakness ( possibly the same side effects as me). He does not eat a lot of high fat foods, and often forgetting to eat at all unless it is put infront of him. Can cholesterol really be inherited? What can I do? I live in the Mediterranean most of the time, so I feel my life style is very healthy. I eat plenty of fruit and veg, I drink moderately and do not smoke. We cant get takeaway food here, so nearly everything is prepared from scratch. My only vice is butter, and that is only when I m worrying about all this. Is there any alternatives to Statins, I did read something about a dialysis machine for cholesterol? But that was a long time ago, and was in the early stage of development. Should I try these next ones, or just forget it and see what happens. I like my life now, When I was on the Simvastatins, I felt I had no life at all, almost like I was taking part in someone else s life, not quite mine. I don t want to go back to feeling like that. Please help....

My father, age 78, is in excellent health and only takes medication for hypercholesterolemia (low 200 s). He recently started Erythromycin for head and chest congestion and sore throat. After taking this for a few days he had blood blisters erupt in his scalp and ears. His head felt a lot of pressure and he was worried he might be having a stroke. His neck and head were stiff with some numbness in his right arm. He DC d the antibiotic and went to his doctor, who placed him on Prednisone. Now he is a little groggy and isn t feeling well so he stopped the Prednisone. He sounds weak and we aren t sure why he was put on the Prednisone. My question is - why take Prednisone if the blisters are drying up? What is the benefit versus the risks?

I am 43, 5'5", 180 and have high blood pressure, high cholesterol ( which is all under control now). I have celiac sprue diease, lymphaedema in both legs and constanstally have problems with rapid heart beats even in the resting stage. I have quite abit of chest pains and do not know what is going on. Any advice on what I should do?

I have severe headaches on almost a daily basis. An MRI revealed findings: chronic vessel ischemic changes; mild global volume loss and paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells appear pneumatized. Question: Does first two items indicate future...

my husband who is 45 recently began having difficulty keeping an erection. He said the feeling is there but he can't and it is very frustrating to him. I have noticed that the odor in his semen has changed. It leaves a fishy odor.

My wife is taking xeralto, and has hypertension leyden 5 deficiency, hypercholesterolemia ,high triglycerides, Previous bilat PE, following dvt. Any benefit or contraindication to fish oil tabs? YYYY@YYYY