Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Cotton ball removed from ear. Bleeding from ear after removing. Reason?

my son had a cotton ball removed from his ear... I believe its been there for years. after many years of complaining he finally found it. after his doctor removed it his ear started to bleed ( they thought it was ear wax first and tried to flush it out with water), all of this was done in the doctors office. should I consult a diffrent doctor? I made a follow up appointment for a week later. What should I do?
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Sharnae,

Thanks for posting on HCM,

Actually after trauma of the ear, the initial thing the doctor would have done is to do an otoscopy exams to identify the level where the lesion occurred, whether it is in the middle ear or in the external ear. Management will depend on this. If ear continue to bleed ( actively), a wet gauze with adrenaline or saline for hemostasis will surely have to be inserted his ear for a while. If middle ear trauma, it will be appropriate to place him on antibiotics prophylaxis to prevent ear infection and if pain analgesia should be included. If bleeding is no more, then you just keep observing and make sure bleeding does not recur.
You can follow-up the appointment later on as planned if bleeding is not active.

Hope this helps
Answered: Sun, 24 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor