Coronary artery bypass surgery. is it dangerous ?

my dad is a bit over 40 and he is going to have coronary artery bypass surgery . is it dangerous ? could he die ?
Tue, 16 Jul 2013
Medical Procedures ,   ,  
Cardiac Surgeon 's  Response
The CABG operation has a high success rate, but rarely it may prove fatal. The risk is greater if the patient's heart muscle has already been severely damaged or if the patient has another serious disease - specifically chest or kidney disease. Your cardiac surgeon will discuss these risks fully with you before you decide to go ahead with the operation.

About 70-80% of patients experience no further angina symptoms after their operation and usually you can expect to return to a normal life. Many hospitals now have Pre-operative Clinics where you can meet other patients and discuss your concerns with nursing staff before you come into hospital for your operation. You may also have the opportunity to donate some of your own blood for use in the blood transfusions you will need when you have surgery. Use of your own blood will reduce your risk of cross-infection.
viera's  Response
um anybody that answers this could be wrong unless they are doctors... so i would recommend to search in this website... medlineplus.gov just ask your question in the research box about coronary artery bypass surgery being dangerous hope ur dad gets well after surgery =] hey i researched this for u http://dukeheartcenter.org/handler.cfm?event=practice,template&cpid=8722 this website will tell u more about the coronary artery bypass surgery.... There is a 2 percent risk of dying from a scheduled coronary artery bypass graft surgery. The risk increases to 8 percent if it is an emergency procedure. ...