Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Continuous oozing near the tooth with crown and on pressing the gum, no pain. Not done root canal. What is the cause?

I had a crown put on a tooth two years ago and now there is puss coming out around that tooth when I press on the gum below. There is not pain or anything else alarming. The dentist did NOT do a root canal as it was a missing filling and had no pain or sensitivity to air or water at the time. Again, the tooth is still not giving me any pain or other symptoms other than the puss every morning. Thanks
Asked On : Fri, 26 Oct 2012
Answers:  8 Views:  515
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello & welcome
as there is no symptom of pain except pus in the morning, than this may be related to periodontal infection.
sometime if proper oral hygiene is not maintained of crowned tooth than this may lead to inflammation of gums & if this situation is ignored this may lead to periodontal pockets & abscess.
so i will advise you to visit to your dentist for clinical checkup.
maintain proper oral hygiene,start up with warm saline rinses 2-3 times a day, betadine rinses, & gum massage with gum paint 2-3 times a day.
thanks & take care
Answered: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Palvi 's  Response
thanks for the query...
it seems to be abscessed tooth that need proper clinical and radiographic examination to find out its cause...
it might require proper scaling, root planing and curettage...
sometimes crown place too deep inside the gums can cause such problems...
so.. visit your dentist for proper diagnosis and treatment...
take care...
Answered: Sun, 4 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Pus could be because of infection in the gum which had lead to gingival abscess formation . This may be due to calculus or foreign body leading to infection. This has to be treated by deep ultrasonic cleaning and draining the abscess . This is followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesics and warm salt water rinses . If still the infection persists after a week then get an x- ray done to rule out any infection in the teeth leading to pus formation.
Hope this information helps you.
Answered: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hi and welcome,
Pus coming out of gums indicates infection of the gingival tissue due to lodgement of food debris , bacterial plaque or calculus , called as gingival abscess. since your tooth is restored with a crown coverage and is asymptomatic without any pain, the abscess must be related to gums and not the tooth. but though i suggest you to consult a dentist ans get a x ray done ,since the tooth is vital any infection in the periodontal tissue may spread to the tooth.
If the abscess is gum related it can be cured by deep scaling of gum pockets and root planing of the teeth surfaces follwoed by a course of antibiotics. mean time keep your oral hygiene good , use mouth rinse chlorhexidine 2 to times daily to prevent further damage. take care
Answered: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 2 users find this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
As per the details,Your gums are affected with periodontal infection which has progressed into periodontal abscess.
This may be due to-
Poor oral hygiene.
systemic diseases like diabetes,epilepsy,auto-immune diseases.
plaque and calculus deposition.
I would suggest you to-
get scaling and root planning done.
bone grafting and splinting has to be done in case of bone loss.
maintain good oral hygiene.The abscess has to be drained and curetted.
Meanwhile,avoid intake of hot/spicy/cold foods.
Brush your teeth using soft-bristled toothbrush.
Answered: Sun, 4 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for writing to us.

Pus discharge is due to formation of periapical abscess under the tooth.

An x-ray will help to evaluate condition of tooth.

Pus has to be drained and curetted well.

Root canal treatment is usually indicated in such cases.

Please do visit a dentist regarding further treatment procedures.

Take amoxycillin as well as metronidazole tablets to relieve underlying infection.

Hope this helps.
Answered: Fri, 2 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Oozing of pus from tooth with crown can be due to food lodgement between the tooth and the crown surface leading to gingival abscess formation.
Since your tooth is root canal treated and crown so there are no chances of infection with the tooth, infection is in relation with the gums.
I would suggest you to visit to the Dentist and get the checkup done take an x-ray of the affected tooth.
Go for complete mouth scaling, polishing and curettage with the affected area.
Take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out,

Answered: Fri, 2 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello & welcome,

As you have undergone the treatment of crown placement two years ago, you need to be more careful about your oral hygiene than other patients.

This is because, crown or bridge placed in oral cavity, tends to accumulate more debris & plaque as compared to normal tooth structure.

Pus formation in tissue surrounding the tooth indicates presence of Gingival or Periodontal infection & here most likely it's origin is due to lack of optimum cleanliness.

Visit your dentist, get an x ray done to rule out underlying caries in the same tooth, get your teeth thoroughly cleaned by dentist.

Antibiotics and Anti-inflammatory drugs will be required to clear the infection. Proper cleaning habits should be exercised by you to keep such infections away.

Take care.
Answered: Fri, 26 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor