Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Continuous fever with fluctuation in temperature, chills, fatigue, loss of appetite, stomach upset, very low sex drive. History of surgery for deviated septum. All tests normal. Help

My boyfriend is a 38 year old male who has had a fever between 99 and 104 for the past five weeks. All blood tests, xrays, ct's, urine tests, and cultures etc have come back normal. He gets very shaky and has chills and tremors when his fever starts. He is usually healthy, but has had a history of sinus problems and had surgery on nose and sinuses 2-3 years ago to fix a deviated septum. He has been getting weaker daily as his fever persists, huge lack of energy and tires quickly, has had a loss of appetite since the fever began and has lost 20 lbs or more from eating so little. He's been going to the doctor and hospital for weeks, but the tests show nothing. His mom has sarcoidosis (sp?), an autoimmune disease I believe. He has occasional cough (not bad and stops quickly but not usual for him) and has had an stomach upset lately (bloating, heartburn, constipation), and he no longer wakes up sneezing 50 times every morning, as he has EVERY morning since his sinus surgery. Not sure it's at all relevant, but he's had a very low sex drive for 15 years, which to me is extremely unusual. After his late teens, he has had little interest in sex and often goes months without interest. While single from 20-33 he went years without being sexually active at all. He is the total opposite of any man I know this way, just placing a very low importance on anything related to sex, although he can be aroused and perform normally when he does occasionally feel obligated to force himself to get "in the mood". Since the fever began, We have both done tons of reading online about possible diagnoses, but it seems to cause more questions and concerns, and no one can offer any answers and he can't his doctors to refer him to any specific type of specialist or anything, to figure out what could be wrong. Where can he turn next for help? His family doctor and hospital doctors have no idea, and keep telling him to come back every couple days if fever persists, but it has and he is desperate for help. Has missed a LOT of work from this and has not gone one day without a fever since it began.
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  51
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

After reading your history about your boyfriend, I believe that he has a chronic disease. He needs to be checked out for a sexually transmitted disease profile as well as run a panel for autoimmune diseases. A visit with a psychiatrist will be necessary to rule out bipolar disorder. I wonder if an infectious disease specialist can also help along with an allergist/immunologist. Please take all his previous investigations with you for these appointments. I hope this helps.

Take care and have a lovely day!
Answered: Fri, 24 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor