Continuous fever, ultrasound showed mild ascities in abdomen, normal LFT, kidney tests. What is the cause?

my brother is 36 years old.he was suffering from fever since a month ago.now his ultrasound report revealed that mild ascities found in his general abdomin but his liver function tests , kidney tests, pancreas are quite normal.what could be the cause of this ascities in his abdomin..a physician in pakistan suggested that he is suffering from a stomach infection and swelling in his stomach.please tell me the reason of this fluid and if it is dangerous?
Mon, 30 Jun 2014
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
You need to get an ascitic tap and test the fluid in the abdomen. For infections and tuberculosis.please consult your doctor and ask if this can be done