Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux, autoimmune disease, high CRP level and WBC count, fever, painful joints, psoriasis, rash on fingers. Gluten allergy?

Ive been having strange symptoms that no one has been able to figure out now for almost 3 years. I constantly have stomach troubles, constipation, diarrhea, bloating etc. I have been diagnosed with acid reflux . Specialists also think I have an autoimmune disease because when they tested my CRP level it was at 108 and my white blood cell count was elevated. I constantly run a fever of around 100 and my body and joints tend to hurt all the time. I also have psoriasis on my scalp. Ive recently been breaking out with a rash on my fingers and elbows and knees, when i looked it up it was very similar if not exactly dermatitis herpetiformis. I was wondering if a gluten allergy could be the cause of all the symptoms mentioned above?
Asked On : Mon, 14 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  598
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
Hello, thanks for writing to HCM.

Your symptoms are definitely tough to handle but I am glad you are concerned about your health and want to do something about it. Stomach toubles, constipation, bloating are all symptoms of a possible allergy. However, when along with skin rashes and fever, the condition definitely needs medical treatment. With regards to diet, it is possible that there can be a gluten intolerance/sensitivity. Gluten is a protien present in cereals/grains processed from wheat which is the major constituent in giving the elasticity in wheat based products. Some people are sensitive towards the gluten and hence the reaction in the form of abdominal pain, crunches etc. A gluten free diet is recommended which is available in most of the medical shops and food outlets. Also, care should be taken not to consume wheat based products. Also, consult a doctor to confirm if it is Gluten sensitivity before you can change your diet.

Good luck to you!!!
Answered: Wed, 16 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor