Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Constant lump in the side of neck, occasionally get dull and pulsating feeling from it, advised Ibuprofen. Second opinion required?

nI have had for a few years now a hard, bone like lump in the side of my neck . It is closer to the back of my neck and below my ear. I had asked a physician ( nurse practitioner actually) about it and she felt it and said not to worry about it and just see if it grows. Hard to tell if it has grown but it seems like it is more noticeable when I touch it now. I sometimes get a dull, pulsating pain coming from it. She told me to just take ibuprofen for the pain. Should I have it checked out by another doctor?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  44
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.
The lump you are feeling may be a lymph node which is lying over the location of your carotid artery thus your attention is drawn to the pulsations.
Pulsating lump in the neck might be due to Carotid artery aneurysm. Rarely the pulsations from the carotid artery can be transmitted to a swelling adjacent to it, if it is made of soft tissue.
I suggest you to get an Ultrasound scan of the neck done. This will surely provide details on the swelling and its relations making possible to identify the exact pathology easily.
I hope this information helps you.
Wishing you good health...

Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor