Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Constant deep aching pain all over abdomen, discomfort moves around. What to do ?

Hello. I'm a 41 year old female in good health. A little overweight, but don't smoke or drink. I eat well, but don't get much exercise. Back in November I was shoveling snow from the sidewalk. Later that night I had deep aching pain all over my abdomen. It was constant, but worse when leaning or bending over. Even sitting up straight was tough. In a week I felt better. Two months later after bending over sorting laundry, the pain came started low in the abdomen and moved up around the belly button and a little higher. It lasted a few days and went away. Then a week later after similar movements it came back. This has been the pattern for the last couple months, it is now April. Sometimes the pain is sharp, but mostly aching. I can move into certain positions which alleviates usually. There are no outward bulges, but made appointment with a doctor thinking it could be a hernia. The discomfort moved around a little so I wasn't sure what it could be. The doctor didn't feel anything and said it wasn't a hernia unless it was really small.he told me to go home and do ab crunches to strengthen the muscles. I don't think that's a good idea, so I asked for an ultrasound. He said no, but ordered a CT Scan with oral contrast. I am scheduled for tha later this week. The last few days I have felt very good and almost forget about the discomfort. However, I know it can comeback quickly by just moving the wrong way. I haven't noticed any change in digestive or bowel systems. No nausea or weight loss. I do have gerd that seems to be unresponsive to medication and have had minor gallbladder pain, but this is much different and is brought on by movement. Sorry for the super long description. Any thoughts as to what it might be or any future action I should take? Thank you. - AAA
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  68
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hi ! The symptoms you have described shows that the pain and discomfort comes whenever your intra abdominal pressure increases. The possibility of a para esophageal hernia or any other uncompleted internal hernia can not be ruled out. It is very difficult to diagnose these cases from external examination. Sometimes it may give rise to symptoms of Gastro esophageal reflux disease like hyperacidity, dysphagia, etc. These can be diagnosed with the help of X-rays chest/abdomen and a CECT abdomen. An ultrasound may also be done to exclude hepato biliary pathology. Till then, you can start taking some antacid liquids and a proton pump inhibitor for reducing the acid secretion in the stomach. If the pain is too severe, then one can opt for a anti spasmodic.
Hope this information will help you out.
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor