Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Connective piece of skin on top of right ear. Right ear different from left. Corrective surgery?

At the top of my right ear, (The Helix , I believe) there has been a piece of skin that keeps it pulled tight to my head. This connective piece of skin is not present on my left ear. Though it s never caused any complications, it does look a bit odd having one ear pulled in, and semi-square near the top! It has been this way for as long as I remember. I ve been tempted in the past to just take a sharp blade, and slice the skin down the middle, though I m no doctor and I d probably just end up with a bloody ear and no lasting results! :( My question is this: What type of procedure would be effective in matching the shape of my right ear to that of my left? Also, since it has been that way since as long as I can remember, (presumably since birth) will my ear simply bounce back out to proper shape, or will it remain deformed as a result of being in that position for such a long period of time? Thanks very much for any offered help!
Asked On : Sat, 22 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
This is one form of congenital anomaly affecting the development of the upper third of the ear and can be pretty common. Yes, you are correct, the cartilages can be deformed from birth and simple slicing of the skin down the middle would not correct the anomaly!! This requires a plastic surgical procedure in which the ear is separated from the head followed by contouring of the cartilage and coverage of the defect with a small piece of skin so that the contour resembles that of the other ear. Contact a plastic surgeon for more details.
Answered: Wed, 26 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramy Ali's  Response
Hello dear

hope you are doing well ....I'd like to tell you that your ear problem can be easily fixed by a plastic surgery and your right ear can take proper shape us your left ear .....nothing to be afried of
take care

Answered: Wed, 26 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor