Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Concerend about having high BP

If my blood pressure is 124/95 is that high? I was told by the doctor this morning that my blood pressure was a little high. I am a 23 year old female. I have been experiencing some other problems but of the many concerns i have with my health (more so my heart ) i am concerned about my blood pressure because it has never been high before today.
Asked On : Fri, 30 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  278
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response
Hello madam
Thanks for the query
Yes variations in BP levels have direct impact on the heart and in severe cases affects other organs of the body.So you need to take care as you said you already have other health concers.
this BP variations may be due to stress or exertion which can cause temporary increase in dont worry much,stay cool.monitor BP for few more days if same values are continued consult your doctor for medication.
Hope have tried to clarify your doubts.
Answered: Fri, 30 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Kimberly Martin's  Response
Hello lashundajohnson.
A blood pressure of 124/95 is a little high for you at your age. A normal blood pressure would be closer to 120/80 or less, so your diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) was elevated.

There are many reasons for a elevation of your blood pressure - including stress, exercise, smoking cigarettes, etc. A doctor should let you rest for a minimum of 5 minutes and then take your blood pressure again. Another reason that your blood pressure could be elevated would be if they measured your pressure with the incorrect cuff size. That can cause differences in your blood pressure.

Monitor your blood pressure yourself and keep a journal. You may use either a home blood pressure monitor or go to a pharmacy, like WalMart or other establishment where they have the chair where you can get your pressure measured. Take your journal with you to your family physician the next time your have an appointment. If you notice a sustained increase in your blood pressure over a two week period of time, call your family physician for an appointment to discuss the changes. If you have a cardiologist, they would be able to help as well with maintaining a healthy blood pressure.

If you are already on medication(s) for your heart, perhaps one of your medication dosages could be adjusted to lower your pressure readings. Perhaps your doctor will advise you to take another medication specifically for lowering your blood pressure.

In the meantime, in addition to the journal, consider lifestyle changes. Reduce or eliminate sodium from your diet. Watch out for hidden sources of sodium, such as soda pop. Exercise lowers blood pressure.

Be well,
Dr. Kimberly

Answered: Fri, 30 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor