Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Common cold, night sweats, chills, high fever, uncontrollable hiccups. Medical care required?

My husband appeared to have a common cold on Sunday. It has escalated to night sweats , chills and a 102 fever . Now he has uncontrollable hiccups. I was able to get his fever down to 99 degrees by taking Motrin, but he is still coughing all over the place and the hiccups keep coming. Sould I take him to the doctor? and what is causing the hiccups?
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  190
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
Let me know the associated symptoms along with fever.
Does he have abdominal pain/ vomiting/ cough with sputum/ breathlessness?
Although you have defined that he is suffering from common cold but there appears to be involvement of lower respiratory tract/ upper abdominal organs with effect on diaphragm.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
Your husband should go for ultrasound imaging, complete blood count, serum electrolytes and chest x ray.
He should take phenytoin, chlorpromazine, metoclopromide and baclofen on written prescription for control of hiccuos.
Hiccup control is mandatory for relief of distressing symptoms.
Hiccup is due to some sort of irritation to diaphragm.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Sun, 24 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor