Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Collar bone pain, sharp pain in fingers, numbness, anxiety, heart palpitations. Heart attack symptoms?

i am a 22 year old female, mild smoker, with high anxiety , lately i have been having a dull pain where my shoulder meets my chest , sometimes the pain is sharp and goes down to my fingers other times it is dull and makes my fingers go numb, could this be a sign of heart attack or heart problems? it is happening now should i go to the hospital. i also have shortness of breath at times and some palpitations
Asked On : Sat, 1 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  492
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend, welcome to HCM !

Is the shoulder and arm involved the left?
There are three immediate differentials :
1- anxiety manifestations
2- cardiac ischaemia -pre -attack states
3- neuropathy

Your description fits all three possibilities, but none is perfect. heart attack pain is always on the left side.

So, still important to rule out cardiac affection by an EKG, Xray chest and affected shoulder.
An xray of the cervical spine may also be done to look for neuropathic pain, but it won't cause chest pain, breathlessness.

You should seek counselling for anxiety also and be treated for it if tests are negative.
Try to relax.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress.
Good Luck !
I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily.
May I request for your rating and review of this answer before you accept the answer and close the query (if there are no more follow up questions)?
Thank you !
Answered: Sun, 2 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari's  Response

Thanks for query.
The symptoms you are telling are more likely indicative of heart attack. Though anxiety can cause similar palpitations it is always safe to rule out heart attack.
I would suggest you to visit hospital and get electrocardiogram done along with enzyme study like CK-MB, TROPONIN T. The rise in enzyme levels along with ECG changes confirm the heart attack.

I hope I have answered your query. Feel free to revert back in case you have doubt.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Answered: Sat, 1 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor