Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Clicking of right jaw. Diagnosed wearing out of right disc. Surgery needed?

My right side of my jaw clicks all the time when i yawn and open my mouth to eat. i have been seen about it and the doctor said my right disc is wearing out. This past week or so my jaw on both sides seems to be stiff and sore. I have been hoping it was just a temporary thing and the pain would subside. Thinking about getting it looked at again, but i am very worried about what they will want to do. I have read nothing but bad news when it comes to TMJ surgery.. i have not read any good outcomes. Any suggestions would be great!
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  18
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Hello Hardy,
Welcome at HCM.

I have read your question.

It looks from your details that you are having TMJ arthritis & your doctor has advised for surgery.

There are some other methods by which you may have relief-

-You should avoid eating hard food items.

-Ask about steroid injection in joint.It is safe in good hands but not a permanent solution.

-Take some joint supplements like glucosamine with chondroitin sulfate.

-Take a good anti inflammatory analgesic.

Hope this all will help you.

Wish you a happy & healthy life.
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hello, your description indicates that you have TM joint arthralgia/arthritis which is a very troublesome condition. The initial management for this problem would be conservative only by means of analgesic antiinflammatory drugs, glucosamine sulfate supplementation for atleast 2 months. Try to avoid cracking hard edible items like nuts between your tooth. At times a single shot of steroid injection into the joint will also helps. Infact, surgery is goint to be the last option. You may need a specialist surgeon consultation. Hope this brings some clarity in you. Good luck
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor