Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Clear discharge from ear after instance of bleeding post scratching. Worrisome?

Hi, i just recently finished cleaning my ears with a q tip but i did not go as far as where the ear drum is. I cut myself trying to scratch an itch in my ear and did it too hard causing a little cut. When i saw the blood it stopped, but now I am experiencing clear discharge coming out from my left ear. Ive had little cuts like this many times and I doubt my ear drum is ruptured because i only reached as far as a centimeter into the hole. Should I be worried or will it be okay in the morning?
Asked On : Tue, 30 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  72
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.

Bleedng followed by clear fluid is comming from your left ear due to self inflicted trauma.There is nothing to worry if you have traumatised your external ear.
It will heal of itself in few days.

But if you have perforated your ear drum accidently ,it needs care and treatment.
Get yourself examined by a physician who will determine whether ear drum is perforated or not and accordingly he will advice you management
Mean while you keep your ear dry.

Hope i answered your question
Answered: Tue, 30 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Sourav Chakraborty's  Response
Hello xchelseao9 , welcome
I have gone through your case scenario and there certain facts i need to analyse your situation. since how long you have the cut ? serous fluid coming after clotting of wound rarely seen beyond 2 to 3 days provided you have not picked them on a regular basis. I donot think you ruptured your ear drum but then again if you are in doubts it is always better to visit your ENT physician/ otorhinolaryngologist . i assume you are not diabetic and you don't have any bleeding disorder , as you have not mentioned such details. Give your ear some rest and undergo an antiobiotic prophylaxis to prevent further infection and discomfort. Visit your ENT physician/ otorhinolaryngologist for a prompt relief. Take care.
Answered: Tue, 30 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor