Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Chronic pain after open tib/fib fracture. How do I deal with the pain?

Sure, I suffered a open tib/fib fracture in 2007. Today 5 yrs later I still have chronic pain which is intense at times. The damage was extreme and i almost lost the lower part of the leg... my question is how to I deal with the pain? Online research leads me to believe that the pain is not in the bone, but is instead nerve damage. So does this mean I should see a Neurologist for treatment?
Asked On : Sun, 11 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  99
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
You are right that this pain is more of the neurological then of bony origin. This type of pain is called causalgia. It can be treated by neurologist. i have following suggestions to my patients.
1. Tablet Pregabalin and Methylcobal for nerve healing.
2. Nerve block can be tried, it is given by pain specialist anesthetist.
3. it may be possibility that your nerve is getting entrapped in scar tissue of the surgery, so neurolysis can be done, in this procedure, nerve is explored surgically, freed from scar tissue and then fixed with underline tissue.
Answered: Sun, 24 Aug 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor