Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Chronic leg and back pain. Taken Naproxen and Ibuprofen. Sciatica?

My nineteen year old daughter is home from her first year at University. She has been busy working on placements throughout her first year in various primary schools (she is training to be a primary school teacher). During the splring her back and left leg beagn hurting and she has been taking strong painkillers ever since. She did not go to a doctor in Manchester and when she got home she went to our GP and was given Naproxen and ibuprofen to take and a referral was sent for a Physio assessement. The assessement is not until 11 september and she will be returnung to Uni at the end of Sept. Over the summer it has become apparent the pain is chronic and impacts on her ife more than we realised. She descinbes the pain as either an aching pain or a shooting pain in lower back and left leg and often is in so much pain she struggles to get up from sitting and walk. It is worse when she has sat for a lomg period of time im one position. It is difficult for her to cope with her holiday job at British Home Stores as this requires standing for long periods of time, bending and lifting. At the beginning of the holidays the GP suggested it may be Sciatica pain and we wondered that if this is the case do you think she should be referred to a Neurologist to investigate the underlying cause as taking strong pain killers constantly at her age may impact on her health long term and is not resolving the problem. Yours sincerley Sarah Lilly
Asked On : Sat, 18 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  147
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
From your description it seems that she has a nerve root compression at the level of spinal cord due to disc degeneration or an injury. An MRI scan of the lumbar spine and an evaluation by a neurologist is recommended for proper treatment.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor