Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Chronic insomniac patient suffering from depression and tension type headache. Medication to get sound sleep?

dear doctor iam a chronic insomniac patient.presently taking zolpidem 10mg, but iam not getting deep sleep.very unrefreshed sleep. i used many antidepressants for depression and chronic tension type headache .but no relief. my present question is whether there is any chance of getting deep sound sleep with any recently found molecules. my age is 41. i had been with depression and chronic TTH for the last 24 years. please advise an effective sleeping pill only not any antidepressant.
Asked On : Thu, 26 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  51
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

Zolpidem, which you have used, is among the best and safest drugs for insomnia. It has no hangover effect the next day and the chance of any addiction is very less.

However, zolpidem has a short duration of action. So, you can go for sustained release preparation of zolpidem, which works for 6-8 hours, as against 2 hours for plain zolpidem.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Answered: Wed, 24 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor