Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Chronic cough with a diagnosis of bronchitis, tried various medicines, no help. Any alternatives ?

hello, i have had a chronic cough that started 6 months ago with a diagnosis of bronchitis . i am a 42 yr old male in good health otherwise. i have been able to complete to half marathons this year. the cough is white phlegm . i do not have runny nose. xrays show clear lungs ct show pooling that would be consistent with bronchitis or asthma. i have tried musinex and other otc meds and everything that I have tried doesn t seem to have any effect. i have been given blood test and do not have allergies. barium swallow normal. have been given prednisone and dulera with no help. dr is now trying omeprazole to see if its acid reflux, but i never have heart burn. i am looking forward to feeling normal again and running but this cough has made it difficult. i have read on the internet others that have similar symptoms but no answers. what would you do at this point if it were you?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Well come to health care magic
Really a nice question, what would you do at this point if it were you ? ,i think i would have also posted a similar question in health care magic as you had done, may be some how some where the answer may come out. Any way as your CT findings are suggestive of bronchitis or asthama, then you may first of all try to see if there is any thing that is causing this, like smoking, some perfume you might be using , exposure to any pets, birds or chemicals in your working place or near your residential area, if you could find the triggerer then its elimination will sort out your problem forever.Secondly try to see if you are not taking any medicines that can cause dry cough like ACE inhibitors for hypertension, thirdly you can cosult an ENT doctor to see if there is any cause of cough in upper respiratory tract, may be simply even wax in the ears, get your stool test done for ova and cysts and finally you can consult an immunologist for allergy profile . hope this answer will be of some help to you
wish you recover soon and this time compleate full marathion race
Dr Arshad
Answered: Fri, 8 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor