Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Chronic cold, nasal discharge, cough, breathlessness, chills. Treatment options?

Hi I have had a cold for over 3wks now. I had a runny nose and cough etc it improved a little but then seemed to come back. Now I still have a very bad cough somethimes coughing up mucus but mostly not and coughing until I start to dry retch and am short of breath. I am cold alot and hav a constant chill on back where my shoulder blades are.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

It is not uncommon to have these symptoms when you are going through a rough patch with cold. Cold allergies are common and they can be very persistent and make your life hell. I recommend that you try over the counter medications that soothen your throat. I also think that taking medications for allergies should help. Please see a doctor if none of these measures help.

Take care and have a nice day !
Answered: Sun, 10 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Lizzy,

Thanks for posting on HCM

From your description you are probably suffering from subacute rhinobronchitis or an upper respiratory tract infection which is most probably due to a bacteria infection. It will also be important to rule out typical pneumonia and atypical pneumonia as possible causes of your affection. You will need to visit your primary care physician who will ask for a series of laboratory tests (such as complete blood panel, CRP, ESR, sputum AFB test) and chest x-rays. Ones the diseases has been detected, then a course of antibiotics will need to be started to eradicate the causative organism(s). Other medications for cough (mucolytics), rhinorrhea (antihistamines or steroid sprays) and probably antipyretics to control fever.
If after this you still have no improvement, you will need to consult with a specialist (pneumologist)

Hope this helps
Answered: Sun, 10 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor