Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Chronic bilateral red eyes, dryness. Tried lubricants, steroids. Infection, allergy tests normal. Suggestions?

Hi ,I am a 35 year old male , I have chronic bilateral red eyes for over 5-6 years now , have tried almost everything and seen many doctors ! I have tried all lubricants , many steroid courses , antibiotics , put on Restasis for more than a year as i have dry eyes ( no improvement ) , i have been screened for all systemic diseases , infections and allergies all negative and nothing seems to help , any suggestions i need help !
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hi Eric,
Welcome to HCM.
Apart from using the above mentioned therapy, there a couple of things which can help you.
- lifestyle changes - avoid sitting directly under the AC in your working place .
- omega 3 fatty acids - it has been said to improve the meibomian gland function and hence the year film stability.

- use lubricant gel at night.
- if all these are not working out , then talk to your ophthalmologist ( Oculoplastic surgeon) about punctual plug insertion which will help in retention of tears .

So hope this helps. Take are.
Answered: Wed, 6 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
Hi and thanks for the questions,
Dryness in the eyes an mucosa generally is associated to diseases such as the natural aging process, especially menopause. Side effects of certain drugs such as antihistamines and birth control pills. Diseases that affect the ability to make tears, such as Sjogren's syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and collagen vascular diseases. Structural problems with the eye lids that don't allow them to close properly.
This could lead to consequences such as Pain, Light sensitivity, A gritty sensation, A feeling of a foreign body or sand in the eye, Itching, Redness, Blurring of vision.
Consulting your opthalmologist to me is the right thing to do.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor