Cholesterol 271. Is it too high?

I JUST FOUND OUT MY CHOLESTEROL IS AT 271 IS THAT TOO HIGH? WHAT IF I DONT GO ON A DIET WHAT CAN HAPPEN?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
's  Response
Hey first of all don't let the kids get you upset... you should have a cholesterol level lower than 200. 271 is not life threatening, it just means that you need to change some of the things that you are eating. Cut back (not cut out) on eggs and dairy products and foods cooked in fat. (Fast food is 1 thing to cut out!) After 3 months ask the doctor to repeat the test. You should see your level down with in the normal range. If not then a cholesterol lowering medication may be needed. These medications do come with side effects, and cramps nausea and diarrhea are some of them, so diet is the way to go. :o) Jerry