Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Chipped my tooth, noticed a bump on the gum above the next tooth over. Could be a gum boil ?

Hi, I chipped my tooth last week and the next day I was looking at it and noticed a bump on the gum above the next tooth over. I thought it was a canker sore. I went to the dentist to have my tooth fixed and he x-rayed it and the surrounding teeth(including one with bump) he said nothing of the bump. My chipped tooth was fixed with no problem. Now I was online and my bump looks suspiciously like a gum boil but wouldn t my dentist have noticed if the tooth had died?
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for posting the query,

Bump formation can be because of several reasons , it can be an abscess formation, ulceration , irritation or trauma due to the chipped tooth, plague and calculus accumulation deep into the gum pockets.

I would advice you to visit Dentist get a checkup done .
Take an x-ray,
Get complete mouth scaling and polishing done .
Drainage of abscess and Curretage is the treatment.
Decayed tooth is to be restored.
Maintain a good oral hygiene .
Apply dologel ointment on the affected area.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sun, 17 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.
The bump arise due to-

ABscess formation.
aphthous ulcers.
pulp polyp or gingival polyp.

I would suggest you to get a thorough scaling done.

The bump has to be incised and drained.
curetting the bump will solve the problem.
vitamin becosules has to be administered.
Take complete course of antibiotics-analgesics .

PLease avoid the use of toothpick/dental floss if you practice any.
MAINTAIn good oral hygiene.

DEcayed teeth has to be restored.

I wish you good health

Answered: Wed, 6 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor