Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Child with thick discharge in the eye. What is it?

Hi there! I'm 12 years old and for a few weeks my eye has produce alot of white stringy, gloopy stuff. I stay digging in and take it out which makes my eye very watery an itchy. My eye feels very sticky and the gloopy and stringy things are in the middle like a strong of my eye, a puddle on the eyelashes, in the corner and on top of my eye. Why is this happening, what is it and how can I help it? xo
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  200
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hi lil boy, I am Dr Bilal and I am an Ophthalmologist
Welcome to Health Care Magic
I would like to answer your question and your satisfaction is my goal.

As you have given history of itching and watering of eyes and there is a stringy , gloopy stuff and your eyes are sticky as well , it seems as if you are suffering from dry eyes probably because of meibomian gland dysfunction / blockage . Basically meibomian glands secrete an oily substance that prevents evaporation of the eye's tear film . Thats the reason for your itch and watering , and the stringy things are mucus strands which are causing stickiness .

I would suggest you to use artificial tear drops , hot compresses over eyes using a clean cloth and then massage over the eyelids to get the glands flowing again (twice daily) , antibiotic eye ointment . Your symptoms should improve within 48 hours and will subside in weeks time . Please see an Ophthalmologist , if there is no improvement .

Wish you a very speedy recovery .
Good Luck
Best Regards .
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Achuo Ascensius's  Response
it would appear you have conjunctivitis and most likely a bacterial
conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis is simple an infection but it is easily
treated with eye drop antibiotics such as gentamycin eye drops.
However, it is important to see a doctor for an evaluation and to
confirm the diagnosis.

Once the diagnosis is confirm you will be given antibiotic eye drops
to apply and within a few days, all will be okay.

Best regards and hope this helps you.

Dr Achuo
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. Sheeba Stephen's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The thick discharge and itching in your eyes is indicative of a conjunctivitis. This in turn could be due to an infection or an allergic cause. Now, it is important that you get prompt treatment for this problem. Treatment will usually be with eye drops and sometimes with anti-allergy medication.

So, please ask your parents or guardians to take you to a doctor. Avoid rubbing your eyes, but keep washing them frequently with plenty of cold water.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Consultant
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor