Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Child with slow learning, temporal (hippcampal ) atrophy. Whether it can be cured by medication?

my daughter aged 21 years now was slow in learning since childhood, it was perhaps a case of delayed mild stone , on feeling seizures it was found in MRI report that this is a case of mild right medial temporal (hippcampal ) atrophy which i think ia also responsible for her delayed development and hinderance in education, understanding etc . kindly advise whether it can be cured by medication and she can be quite normal in her education . i shall be oblized for reply.== J.P.Saxena
Asked On : Sat, 2 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Hello jp.saxena55
Welcome to HCM

She was slow in learning since childhood, and was a case of delayed milestones, on MR scan mild right medial temporal atrophy found. Most probably she is suffering from mental retardation. It may occur due to a number of reasons and one is what MR scan is showing. Second reason may be due to abnormal electrical discharges in brain since birth, as in a lot of children with Absence Seizures, due to undetected seizures chronic damage to brain structures occurs which later start manifesting as mental retardation.
So as per my advise kindly get her EEG done to rule out any focal electrical discharge.
Secondly visit a good Psychiatrist to take expert opinion about her MR.
Regarding treatment, I would like to tell you that the damage what has occurred is not reversible, best you can do is to admit her in special children school or train her in some life skill training so that her vocational rehabilitation occurs.
Thanks Take Care
Answered: Sat, 2 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor