Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Child with infected ear lobes after ear piercing. Reddish would with crust. Need to go to the doctor?

My daughter has both ear lobes pierced (for over 2years), and tonight I noticed both look infected. Or just wounded? They were smashed a little too tight together I think, but they are both very red and swollen, and 1 of the backs of the earring was planted inside a cut looking wound, that would ooze cleanish yellow puss when a warm cloth and ear piercing antiseptic was applied; very upset. I did get it out tho without too much difficulty by using the front part of the earring to leverage its careful removal, but it looks like a red wound back there. A little dried yellow crust. Should I take her to a doctor? Or continue treating at home for a couple days and watch progress?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  149
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
It is not uncommon to encounter infection of the lobe piercings. sometimes this comes about by skin allergy to the metallic ear rings and subsequent infection by repeated scratching. If she has signs of acute inflammation e.g. redness, discharge; She needs to be seen by an ENT fellow who will prescribe local antibiotics in the form of a cream as well as oral antibiotics. One more thing you need to keep in mind is that the piercings may close as the wound heals,so some form of a stent has to be in place, even a thread will do.
Answered: Tue, 19 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor