Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Child with elevated ammonia in blood, hospitalized. Cause and remedy?

hello doctor, one of my friends have three children aged 8yrs,3yrs,and 8 month old boys.The eldest child and the youngest child were hospitalized because the ammonia in their blood was very high.Can you tell me what is the reason for high ammonia in blood ? what type of food should we take ? what can we do to help reduce high ammonia in our blood? thank you very much
Asked On : Sun, 12 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  26
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. Ammonia is basically a waste product of normal body process, thus diet rich in proteins, improper kidney and liver functions can cause ammonia to rise in the body. [Ammonia levels in the blood rise when the liver is not able to convert ammonia to urea.]
2. As they are children, thus excluding alcohol abuse and drug abuse:
Reye's syndrome, trauma can also increase ammonia in blood.Ammonia is especially toxic to the brain.It can cause confusion, lethargy, and sometimes coma. [hepatic encephalopathy].
3.use of biotin rich food,drinking lots of water, silymarin, grapefruit seeds, lemon help reduce ammonia in blood.
4. Treatment is complicated, requiring the supervision of a medical professional.[GI or Hepatology (liver specialist) can help guide management], high levels are usually treated with Lactulose (which excretes extra ammonia through stool).
Answered: Sat, 12 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor