Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Child with breathing difficulty since birth causing disturbed sleep, has frequent nasal blocks, acute coughing. What can be done?

Hi Doctor Samuel, my son will turn two next month. Since he was born I observe him breathing with difficulty at night. I ve seen my GP several times and even went to A&E on numerous occasions, every times i got nasal drops. Last month I asked my GP to refer him to ENT specialist and i got an appointment for this coming wednesday 27/06/12. He can t sleep at night very unsettle, noise block, accute coughing and at times he even gave some punch to my wife. Please can you help me Doctor.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi Aziz,
I am really worried that your child is suffering from breathing problem at night.
Breathing difficulty at night suggest obstruction in nose which might be due to,
1. Adenoids (Tonsils behind nose) which can cause obstruction
2. Nasal obstruction due to allergic rhinitis which can result in cough.
3. Long term use of oxymetazoline nasal drops resulting in turbinate hypertrophy.

Since there are multiple causes for nasal obstruction, it is always nice to get an opinion from ENT specialist. You have done the right thing by getting an appointment from ENT specialist. He will be alright, take care.

Dr Balaji C
Answered: Mon, 25 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor