Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Child with Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR) suffers kidney damage, scar. Can kidney be normal without surgery as child grows?

My son has been diagonised with unilateral grade 3-4 VUR & his left kidnsy has scarred , its 36 % he is on antibiotics .should we need surgery or will he outgrew it ? he had UTI at 6 months he is 2 yrs 3 months.Is there any chance of resolving it.Will the affected kidney shrink again if there is no infection hereafter
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hello and welcome toHCM
In vesicoureteral reflux the direction of urine flow is reversed.Vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) is an abnormal movement of urine from the bladder into ureters or kidneys
It is classified into Five grades depending on the severity.
Grade I –Grade V.
Medical treatment is low dose antibiotic prophylaxis until resolution of VUR occurs.
The goal of treatment is to minimize infections, as it is the infection that cause renal scarring and not the vesicoureteral reflux.
Medical management is recommended in children with Grade I-III VUR as most cases will resolve spontaneously.
A trial of medical treatment is indicated in patients with Grade IV
VUR especially in younger patients or those with unilateral disease.
For Grade V VUR surgery is the only option.
When medical management fails to prevent recurrent urinary tract infections, or if the kidneys show progressive renal scaring then surgery may be necessary.
Surgery is necessary in cases where infection recurs despite prophylaxis with antibiotics, if the VUR is severe (Grade IV & V)and if there is failure of renal growth, formation of new scars and renal deterioration.
Since your child had only 1 episode of UTI and he is on regular prophylaxis we can continue with medical management .Urine cultures should be performed every 3 monthly to exclude any new infection. Get a repeat radiological examination to see if the working of kidney function is deteriorating.
Good perineal hygiene, and timed and double voiding should be done to decrease the reflux.
But still i will suggest you to consult a good urologist to help take a wise and timely decision for surgery.
Hope I have answered all your queries.
wish you good health for your son.
Answered: Fri, 22 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor