Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Child suspected to have down syndrome. How to treat it? What tests to be performed?

Hi Dr Santosh, My sister delivered a baby and the doctor doubts that the child has down syndrome . She is from a small town which doesn t has a proper health facility and is therefore coming to Bangalore, India for consultation. As I am new to this, can you please guide how should we plan the treatment. I mean what tests are supposed to be performed and which place is the best for it? Waiting to hear from you. Thanks, Munmun.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
The following investigations to carried out:
Karyotyping : to diagnose down syndrome by blood investigation
Thyroid function test: to detect associated hypothyroidism
2D Echo: to rule out any associated underlying cardiac defects.
X-ray neck can be done later to rule out any atlantoaxial dislocation.
Vision and hearing to be assessed.
So I advise you to consult a Pediartcian to plan for the investigations and management including genetic counseling.
Hope I have answered your query.
Answered: Mon, 25 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor